A Doncaster/Sheffield/Leeds-based personal injury legal specialist says a new compensation scheme to help Yorkshire victims of mesothelioma - a rare form of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos – is a step in the right direction.
The Government-funded initiative means a U-turn for potentially hundreds of mesothelioma sufferers across the region - who have previously been unable to trace their illness to a specific employer or insurer - to receive payments, which in most cases are likely to exceed £100k. Those who are diagnosed after July 25 this year are eligible to claim.
David Eade, a partner at KH Injury Lawyers, who has been representing mesothelioma sufferers for many years, says the scheme has been long awaited.
Said Mr Eade: “The programme has been criticised as limited in its scope as it does not include asbestosis, pleural thickening or asbestos-related lung cancer. It will nevertheless go a long way to compensate victims of mesothelioma which claims over 2,000 lives every year.
“It can be up to forty years after exposure to asbestos that the symptoms of mesothelioma become apparent and there is every indication of a surge of claims up to, and including, 2015.”
The scheme is expected to provide a total of £300m in compensation across the first decade – with the first payments being made by 2014.